VH-CLW (c/n 14108)
De Havilland DH.114 Heron 2D
The De Havilland DH.114 Heron was a four-engined, short and medium range commercial airliner which was also used as a military communications aircraft and executive transport. The type was an enlarged version of the DH.104 Dove, powered by four Gipsy Queen 30 engines.
VH-CLW was owned by De Havilland Company after leaving the factory. Then sold to Deutsche Luftwaffe as communication and personal transport for Luftwaffe Chief-of-Staff in May 21, 1957. Reportedly used as the personal aircraft of Chancellor Conrad Adenauer for internal flights
VH-CLW serviced in the UK, then Portuguese Guinea, before Connair in 1970.
A total of 6 Herons were used by Connair. VH-CLW was amongst those modified at the Alice Springs workshop to the Riley Heron upgrade with Lycoming engines in 1972.
Retired after 6 years of service, VH-CLW was sold to Premiair / Kendell Airlines in December 1976.
After servicing in several operators, and Damaged at Nadi Airport on August 21, 1988. VH-CLW was donated to the Australian Aviation Museum, Bankstown in May 1999.
In 2015, VH-CLW was acquired from the Museum and declared as heritage objects by the Heritage Council, Northern Territory Government. After 2 years of restoration, VH-CLW was offically opened on November 1, 2017, by the Chief Minister of the NT - the Hon Michael Gunner MLA.
Engine: 4 x 250HP DH Gipsy Queen 30 Mk.2 6-cylinder
Wingspan: 21.8m / 71’6”
Length: 14.79m / 48’6”
Performance: Cruising Speed 295km/h / 183mi/h
Capacity: 2 Crew and 14 passengers